Tuesday, January 17, 2012

R.I.P Jean Simek

Roy Thomas reports the passing of letterer Jean Simek:


I'm sorry to have to report that I just learned, from her partner Tom, that Jean Simek passed away on Jan. 5, after a long illness in which her body had great difficulty absorbing nutrition, and after an operation or two. Jean was the daughter of veteran Marvel letterer Art Simek, who lettered most of the early Marvel comics in the 1960s. Both under an earlier married name and later under her own name, she was a letterer in her own right, both for Marvel and for DC. I hadn't spoken with her in a year or so, though we exchanged Christmas cards, and we kept discussing the interview I wanted someone to do with her about her own career and her father's. She had lots of her father's sports cartoons, etc. Perhaps in the near future I'll discuss getting some of those from Tom... but I don't want to bother him just now.



Jean Simek's credits can be found at the Grand Comics Database, both as Jean Izzo and as Jean Simek.

2 comments:

Dave M! said...

I'm sorry for your personal loss. My only connection is being a fan of both Artie and Jean's work.

Kid said...

Condolences to the family. Artie and Jean were class acts when talent came from within people and not technology.